Topband: Waterproofing a tupperware - drainage & advice

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Waterproofing a tupperware - drainage & advice
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 12:31:03 -0400
Rather than invent a poorly designed
wheel, maybe someone here has already
successfully worked out a better solution
to waterproofing.

I am using a Sterilite 25" x 18" x 8"
container with secure snap on fasteners on
each side of the lid to house the outdoor
electronics for the 8 circle array. The
lid fits wonderfully and there is a 1" rim
that comes down from the lid to secure the
contents from exposure to rain.

I have drilled the holes for each coax (9
in all) and cut a slot for the control
wire. I'm planning on wrapping each coax &
the control cable with plastic from a
plastic bag to make the coax snug to the
hole and then gorilla taping that to the
side of the container on each side.

Any ideas to improve this?

Another option I've thought of to seal the
openings is to use expansion foam to seal
the holes. My concern is that is that I've
never used this foam before and don't know
how easy it is to remove it from the coax
should I ever need to. Seems like it would
make a great seal.

Any caveats using the foam instead of the
plastic bag & gorilla tape?

Another consideration is drainage; the
container will be placed on a large
boulder to keep it above rising salt
water, should there be any from a
storm/hurricane.

I don't want to make access holes for
insects but I need to keep it dry inside.
Once the holes are sealed there isn't much
access for water getting in. Murphy being
a McGuiver, should I drill a couple small
holes in the bottom for drainage or should
I leave it as is and not provide for
drainage?

73,

Gary