Re: Topband: 80-160M remote autotuner needed

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 80-160M remote autotuner needed
From: Mike DeChristopher <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:10:35 -0400
My Inv-L is tuned at the FP with a homebrew network that I probably
didn't even use math to design. The variables and inductor are turned
by motors cannibalized from cheap 12V battery-powered drills and
momentary switches in the shack. It was easy to make (I managed to do
it) and even with the control line running out there, it cost $100
total if you factor in the 807's. Obviously not a from-the-box
installation, but hardly a true DIY project and it's been up 6 years
now with pretty ignorant maintenance on my part. It works good as is,
but if someone competent had been around when we designed/built it,
just imagine how good it would be.

We've tried some commercial remote tuners here and none handled
longwire -type antennas with any sort of grace, especially at power;
I'll have to check with K1NZ on which models we tried. YMMV

Mike N1TA