Re: Topband: FCC Public Notice DA 16-676 Noise Floor Technical Inquiry

To: Cecil Acuff <chacuff@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCC Public Notice DA 16-676 Noise Floor Technical Inquiry
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 14:54:32 -0700

On 6/20/2016 12:36 PM, Cecil Acuff wrote:
I work for a power company and identify the noise sources and it still takes a
month or more to get problems solved...but that's because keeping the lights on
is priority one and that's a full time job most of the time.

Keeping it friendly works best but patients is a real virtue.  The more work
you can do up front to positively identify the noise source the better...you
usually won't get somebody out but once or twice before it becomes hard to get
anybody to listen.  Get angry and the door shuts quickly.

I'm just telling you the reality from the inside.

Many times the noise source is in our own homes and we don't even realize it.

Cecil
K5DL

All true, but I (and many others) have done all that and
nothing happens until the FCC and/or California Utilities
Commission are brought in.  We found the pole, eliminated
noise from houses, etc. and I'm always firm but friendly
dealing with bureaucracies.  I would love to have a 1
month response time.  I wanted to build a house a few
years ago to replace one that was torn down and they
wanted 18 months and $5,000 to hook up the old electrical service
to the new house.  We stopped being so friendly and suddenly
we got power right away at no charge for installation to
their pole (we paid for the drop wire).
I had to play my trump card by telling them I was an EE.
We went through a similar hassle for a barn that had
6 light fixtures in it and nothing else.

Rick N6RK