Topband: modeling BOGs (or whatever we call them)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: modeling BOGs (or whatever we call them)
From: Carl Luetzelschwab <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 16:40:38 -0400
With the recent thread of modeling BOGs, I hope those interested in this
endeavor read Rudy N6LF's article in the June 2016 QST. In the article he
compared modeling to measurements on three antennas: one was low to ground,
one was buried and the third was a vertical with just one ground rod. This
then led to modeling his degraded BOG to understand why it degraded. This
short paragraph does not do his work justice - go read his article (and the
longer version cited below).

For all this modeling he used the NEC-4.2 engine, and the results were very
good when NEC wire rules were obeyed, the dimensions were accurate and the
ground characteristics were measured and used in the model (not the canned
poor, average and good grounds).

The longer article with all the details is available on the ARRL web site.

Carl K9LA