Re: Topband: BOG data

To: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG data
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 03:24:28 -0400
It is tricky nasty to model a BOG, but can be done. One of the exceptional
problems is to get a ground characteristic for EZNEC that causes the model
to mimic reality. Sometimes people just can't come up with a set that
works.

If you are measuring current, then you are transmitting into it. Your model
will have to include the feedline shield with EZNEC loads to model the
isolation of the feedline from the feedpoint as actually occuring at the
feedpoint. An easier way to see the current behavior of an "ideal" BOG and
the currents in effect on RX, then the BOG should be modeled without a
source on it. Place a one foot long vertical antenna at a particular
distance and height a mile away to set the azimuth and elevation of the
incoming signal, and set your power to a megawatt. This is a point source
on 160. Then note the modeled currents in the BOG wire for different
incoming angles/directions and the power across a 50 ohm resistor at the
feed point. That a megawatt on a one foot wire in reality would melt the
wire is beside the point.

You can also see if any value of termination gives you a smoothly
decreasing current on a signal from the back side. What you are looking for
is the minimum voltage at the 50 ohm feedpoint termination.  On a signal
from the front side, you want the maximum voltage to appear at the 50 ohm
feedpoint termination.

EZNEC Pro will do this "plane wave" analysis directly.

As to what to use for ground, lay a 151 foot dipole on ground at your
placement point and obtain the resonance and R reading at resonance. Monkey
with the ground constants to get a modeled 151 foot dipole on ground to get
the same resonance and R reading. It sounds like you already may have done
something like this.

You may not be able to do that, because for a BOG as with any 160 antenna,
nearby conductors, including buried conductors like water and gas pipes,
can "pull" actual results way off the monolithic, uniform ground in NEC
based programs.

Incidentally, a 364 foot BOG on 160 is in the magnitude of twice as long as
needed for ideal results. Some times wire your length has been reported
with a reversed pattern. 364 divided by .67 gives an electrical length of
543 feet or two halfwaves. The problem is the slow propagation on the wire
vs. full speed of light incoming.

73, Guy K2AV