Re: Topband: BOGs vs. Beverage behavior

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: BOGs vs. Beverage behavior
From: Warren Merkel <hullspeed21@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:31:46 -0400
I've been playing with BOGs a bit here and am getting good results on
multiple bands.  F/B and F/S does vary quite a lot, with some weird
flips in F/B occurring at times--literally changing 180 degrees in
direction.   I'm getting good results on 160m and 80m, even though my
current snake length is predictably too short.   My 150 foot RG6 BOG
does well on 160 and 80, and weirdly, it is useful on 20m, though it
usually provides a better S/N improvement than directivity there.

I've got a stretching mechanism that allows lengthening the BOG on
demand, to make for better multiband performance.   I'm looking to be
selectable from about 180 ft down to 128 ft (optimum for 40m) when the
setup is fully implemented.    I will say I don't agree with Luis IV3PRK
regarding the BOG being a resonant antenna.  I do see that the F/B
changes with frequency, but not due any particular resonance.

See my QRZ page for build information.

Warren, KD4Z