Re: Topband: 1 center point to ground all 8 beverages??

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1 center point to ground all 8 beverages??
From: luc kerkhofs via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 16:27:16 +0000 (UTC)
Very interesting, reading as always,

This brings me to another question, how do I need to handle grounds in a switch
box with 3 antennas ?

73
Luc
ON4IA

 To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
 Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016, 10:19 AM

 W3LPL:

 >Another solution is to use
 relays to connect only the selected Beverage to the ground
 rod
 and disconnect the other seven.

 I've done this for 31 years from 3 different locations with
 no problems.
 From a 2011 post on this subject:

 ZL3IX wrote:

 >* As long as your relays have decent isolation, even for
 high impedances,*
 it may even be better to switch the Bev wires
 themselves.  That way you
 don't share the ground at the feed end, and avoid any common
 impedance
 coupling.

          I agree.  I've
 done this since installing my first set of 7
 Beverages in 1985 arranged like wheel spokes and have never
 noticed
 crosstalk problems.  I even sometimes switched two in
 parallel to
 listen in two directions simultaneously in contests (NE and
 W when I was
 in Colorado).  Now I prefer diversity (Beverages on one
 RX and an RX 4SQ
 on the other RX) for contests.

          73,  Bill
 W4ZV