Re: Topband: A 160m Noise problem

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: A 160m Noise problem
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 15:35:26 -0500 (EST)
Hi Art,

If its any of your suspected sources you should be able to observe
spectral shape (signal strength variation vs. frequency) on a
panadapter or by simply turning the dial on your receiver.

If its a plasma TV it shouldn't present 24 hours per day, it will follow
some kind of human life pattern. Computer power supplies, wall
warts, and battery chargers are common problems too, but they all
have distinct observable spectral shapes.

I once had intense RFI from an electric fence a mile away with
its fence charger stuck ON (not pulsing). It sounded just like AC
power line RFI except for the peculiar characteristic that it was
extremely intense on 160 meters and couldn't be heard at all on
any other ham band.

Good luck!

73
Frank