Re: Topband: Tuner

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuner
From: Jim Murray via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 22:38:16 +0000 (UTC)
Many thanks to all for your input on possible tuners.  I decided to get a Ten
Tec 238 and give it a try.  A gentleman on Ebay was selling a complete TT
station and was good enough to sell me the tuner alone at a reasonable price.
It seems to be a long time favorite and with a little modification it should
tune 160 fairly well.  Oddly enough, years ago I had one of these and remember
putting a new dial cord on it.  Don't recall what happened to it.  I know I
didn't pay $800+ as I see TT new parent company is getting for the latest
version.  The prices these days for the high power tuners is unbelievable.  I
paid $325. for the 238 which electronically is very similar probably to the new
version.From correspondence with the seller I am confident the tuner is ok.
Thanks again
Jimk2hn