Re: Topband: VP8SGI tonight on 160M

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VP8SGI tonight on 160M
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 14:55:16 -0500
I was able to work them last night, was
listening on 1.823 the same freq STI was
often using and hearing nothing but a CP
calling CQ, finally noticed a small pileup
higher in the band. I listened up a bit,
found them on 1.8265 and was able to
barely copy them but because the band was
clear, no crazies interfering and with
great luck, made the Q. I checked back a
little while later and the ether was just
burning with RF. Lucky timing for me.

It wasn't a DXCC ATNO, I'd worked VP8SGP
back in 95 but it was an ATNO on 160!

I'm at 326 for DXCC (would be 327 but my
5A1AL Libya card is not being accepted by
the ARRL) and its rare to find an ATNO
activation any more. That's part of the
joy of 160 for me; I have so many more
entities I need on Topband DXCC that the
challenge is likely the next one is
waiting just around the corner. And that
is why I put my efforts into hearing and
transmitting better on 160, the other
bands just aren't as fun for me.

Cheers & 73,

Gary