Re: Topband: K5P 1/25/16 on 160 meters

To: Louis Parascondola <gudguyham@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K5P 1/25/16 on 160 meters
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:05:03 -0500
Hi Lou and gang,

Lou thanks for the link to your K5P recording, and below is a link to a
youtube video I made on Jan 16 while copying K5P on 160 meters that also
includes comparison of my approximate half size pennant versus my 68 foot
base loaded TX vertical for copying K5P (with noise floor set equal on them
so you can instantly see the improvement in signal to noise ratio when
using the pennant).

I was copying K5P just fine around 09:45 UTC today (6 dB above my noise
floor), but they could not hear my 100 watt station (they kept on calling
CQ with numerous stations calling them but it was apparent they were not
hearing a majority of them).  Normally if a Dxpedition is 6 dB above my
noise floor I don't have a problem working them running 100 watts, but that
has not been the case with K5P (probably partly due to the big pile ups,
but that was not the case this morning).

Unfortunately I leave the house at 1100 UTC for work, so I always miss
happy hour (sunrise enhancement).

Youtube Link to wd8dsb recording of K5P:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbyXcyatsYs

73,
Don (wd8dsb)