Topband: lightning grounds for elevated radial antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: lightning grounds for elevated radial antennas
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 10:23:04 -0800
A lengthy thread re grounding on towertalk prompts me to have concerns about protection of my T top (85' to top plus two 33' top wires) wire 160m vertical with eight 125' elevated radials. Since that covers more than an acre (it's mostly among 100' tall conifers) it has a lot of target area, radial routing close to trees, and high ground capacitance. I did DC ground the vertical via a 3 core 240-31 choke, about 5k ohms to a single ground rod but that was for static protection of radio front ends. The antenna is fed via a 50:25 ohm TLT so the radials have a DC connection to the choke.

What is best practice for lightning protection of elevated radial verticals?

Grant KZ1W