Re: Topband: 4SQ vs. 8 circle rcv

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 4SQ vs. 8 circle rcv
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:25:19 -0500
I have used the W3LPL 8-circle in a TBDC (a TBDC that was 99% domestic
stuff). The 8-circle is surprisingly directive. Almost all strong signals
just drop down into the noise if you are two notches off from the best
direction.

Now the 8-circle gets a big number for RDF rating, but I don't think the
RDF number fully captures how directive it is and how deep and wide the
null is, in any other but the chosen direction.

I was using Frank's beverages as on the second radio much of the time. In
comparison the beverages seemed pretty much omnidirectional. Don't take
that as anything bad about beverages, just take that as a sharp contrast to
the deep null you get for 270 degrees with a well-installed 8-circle.

Tim N3QE