Re: Topband: 4 square

To: "Steve Daniel" <nn4t@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 4 square
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:31:40 -0500
Used both the 4 square and 8 circle array by DX Engineering. Both work but, in my thunderstorm environment, I spent many hours and as many dollars as the systems originally cost repairing them over three seasons. This is despite keeping the systems powered off, except when being used. The guys at DXE said doing so would protect the systems. Unfortunately that proved not to be the case at my middle Tennessee qth. Steve, NN4T

Whoever said that probably had good intentions, but unfortunately that is false.

No matter where you are located, off or on makes an immeasurable difference in likelihood of lightning damage.

You really have to find out what is being damaged and where the ground loop causing the problem is your system. It should be curable to a large extent, but not by simply turning it off. That makes almost no difference for lightning.