Re: Topband: RE; Ground screen Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RE; Ground screen Question
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 12:37:15 -0800
Dave,

I see your point.  I wouldn't want to chance damaging the concrete.
I am not thinking of attaching to the tower with it however, I am thinking of it as a ground screen and actually adding more welded wire mesh also at about a 15 foot radius around the base of the tower which would be connected to the slab mesh. The ground screen would not be attached to the tower and will help with near field losses from the shunt feed tower. What I am thinking of for radials is 4 elevated radials at 14 to 16 foot above ground. This height works well with my trees, etc on the property. Radials will not connected and completely independent of the ground screen. I don't have a huge lot so the radials will have to be bent at 90 degrees when they approach the property lines. Not ideal but I'm hoping with a little help from the ground screen I will have a decent signal. I did an exploratory hole in the concrete slab and the 6x6x no 8 wire grid is like new, no rust. I guess the concrete preserves it. I have two 8 foot wide by 70 foot long runs of the welded wire mesh imbedded in the parking slab. I will make sure each of the two runs is electrically tied together. So what I will end up with my proposed ground screen is wire mesh ground screen extending out from the base of the tower with a 15 foot radius and it will attach to the adjacent 15 foot by 70 slab ground screen. I figure why not use the 15 x 70 slab too if doable ? Sound OK ? Any other ideas suggestions ? I appreciate the input guys !

Bob
K6UJ