Re: Topband: W1BB

To: Gary@ka1j.com
Subject: Re: Topband: W1BB
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 09:12:42 -0800
It's great to see this discussion come up.

One call I saw mentioned was PY1RO (the person who provided some of the
data on W1BB to K1ZM).  I have found memories of a QSO I had with Rolf back
in 1977 during the ARRL DX Contest.  I was operating from K6AC - a station
that had no 160 meter antenna.  I put up a dipole as high as I could - but
it wasn't more than 70 feet tall at its highest point (which was not the
feedpoint).  I had no idea how well the antenna would work - but went down
to 160 meters around 0330 UTC and tuned around.

I found PY1RO with a solid signal and he came right back to me.  I was
stunned.

A few other DX callsigns from the 70's that many of us worked include
VS6DO, JA3ONB and of course JA5DQH from the various places he visited with
his "Aki special".

One other historical point is a talk W6NJU (later KI6T and now an SK) made
at our local radio club about the DX he was working on 160 meters.  This is
around 1970 as I remember and it helped get me hooked on the band.

Tree N6TR