Re: Topband: New Noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New Noise
From: "Steve" <VE7SL@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 11:08:27 -0800
I inspected the LED lamp and saw a small burned spot.

saw something similar with a CFL bulb a few years ago....huge s9++ buzz from LF through to low HF. I could hear it all over the neighborhood with a portable SW receiver so... and after several days of DFing and making noise maps of the local area, I traced it to a cottage four doors away. The cottage was vacated as the owners just come here in the summer but I eventually got access from a relative. It was a CFL light left on in the crawlspace (to discourage some of our local otter population from moving in!) but ... it had burned out and partially melted the glass, with a lot of black charring on the base. A very dangerous situation if there had been any flammable material nearby. Even in this burned-out state, is was generating some serious RF it seems.

Steve

WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook":  http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl

VE7SL BLOG - "Homebrewing and Operating Adventures From 2200m to Nanowaves": http://ve7sl.blogspot.ca/