Re: Topband: Commercial 160 antennas?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Commercial 160 antennas?
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 08:50:58 -0500
Guys, the point of the original posts, if you actually read it, was from
someone who is balancing their limitations vs an antenna choice.  If a
significant portion of the radial field desired is un obtainable, then
vertical antennas are not the defacto choice necessarily.

As someone with 2 phased T top verticals and over 10,000 ft of radial wire
on the ground, I get that.  But not everyone has the interest, ability, or
circumstance to install the "best" antenna.

While an inverted vee at 90 ft puts a lot of signal in the wrong direction
for most prop.  All top banders know that there are times when it actually
IS the best antenna.  Not often, but with ducting conditions, sometimes.
And if your ground losses are terrible through poor radial efficiency, the
signal level at desired radiation angles, starts getting a lot closer than
you would realize.

We would do better sometimes to stop talking ideal and actually help posters
when they state a question with clear compromises and limitations.  In my
opinion anyway.

Ed  N1UR