Topband: Shunt Feed Cage

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt Feed Cage
From: wb6rse1@mac.com
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 11:56:18 -0800
I shunt feed my 54 ft free standing 3 section crank-up tower for 160m and 80m,
remote relay band switchable omega match. 2:1 SWR bandwidth is around 40+ kc on
160 and about 20 kc on 80.

3/8” solid gamma rod, 15” from a tower leg attached at about the 22 ft level,
the top of the bottom section of the tower. These parameters will not change
nor will the fact that I have no radials since there is no place for them on my
small city lot. There are two 8 ft ground rods at the tower base.

If I were to put a cage of 2, 3 or 4 wires around the gamma rod, each spaced 3
inches or so from the rod, could I expect to see a significant improvement in
bandwidth on 80m? Or I won’t know until I try it?

Tks - Steve WB6RSE