Re: Topband: FCP Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP Antenna
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 12:16:52 -0800
On Thu,12/3/2015 11:52 AM, Chortek, Robert L. wrote:
Will I see noticeable improvement if I change my radial system to a FCP and/or
raise the base of my elevated vertical?

Bob,

Increasing the height of elevated radials on 160M from about 3 ft to about 16 ft is probably good for a few dB. It is a good thing to do. Increasing the number of radials is also a good thing. Don't expect huge differences, but serious topband operators will attest that as little as 2dB can make the difference between a QSO and QRZ?

The definitive work on elevated radial systems has been done and published by Rudy Severns, N6LF. It's on his website, and is well worthy of study.

BTW -- I'm in the Santa Cruz Mountains, only about 35 miles S of you, and since moving here in 2006, have 135 confirmed on topband with antennas that are probably a lot better than yours. With 144 confirmed from a small city lot, you're doing quite well indeed!

73, Jim K9YC