Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it (negative fuse)

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it (negative fuse)
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 12:22:58 -0500
My Icom radios come with the power cord fused for both negative and
positive. From what you say, I should remove the negative fuse if I install
the radios in a vehicle.  Now when the radios are at the fixed station the
same power cord is used (both lines fused), I understand that the negative
line fuse should also be removed.

The standard from UK is well worded:

"4.6.4. Negative Feed Connection
In the case of negative earth return vehicles, the negative power line should not be fused. It should be connected to the vehicle body as close as practical to the point at which the battery-to-body connection is made. Do not connect the negative power line directly to the battery. For heavy commercial vehicles (>7.5Tonne GVW) only, and those vehicles with tilting cabs where the cab may be isolated from the chassis by rubber mountings, a ground point is provided by the vehicle manufacturer within the cab to provide battery to cab grounding. Generally this is located within the main fuse box. It is recommended that this point be used for installations in this instance. With certain equipment it may be necessary to connect the negative supply line to a local earth point. In this case an existing vehicle earth point must be used."

I just went through terrible problems with an aftermarket EFI system that insisted on a battery negative connection. It never worked properly until I used the vehicle chassis as the negative.

I regret now, after years of experience with problems, ever following the US and Japanese standard of using a battery negative pole or terminal, and not the vehicle chassis. I still, because the warnings to use the battery negative were so strong in an expensive EFI system, I followed it (knowing better) and had a ground loop noise problem right away.

I've damaged radios and accessory equipment several times over the years, and the ground loop also makes common mode noise and audio hum and noise problems worse. I used to buy into the common advice, because I never really thought about it. No negative fuse holder for me, and no negative battery post connections for me. My three wire plug shack power supplies have all been modified now, and no longer have a ground loop from mains or station ground to the negative power lead.

The UK standards have it correct.

73 Tom