Re: Topband: K1FK to JA Via 160-Meter Long Path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K1FK to JA Via 160-Meter Long Path
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:06:35 -0400
I just wanted to add another data point to this subject.   I have heard LP
JA's on 160 on several occasions from my location in FN42 (eastern MA),
anywhere from 2120Z to 2200Z in December and January, going back to 1994 or
thereabouts.  I was never able to work any because they were working Europe
and it was not possible for me to break through the Europeans.

I would estimate that I have heard about 10 different JA stations on LP.
With one exception, they were all from the SE direction, received on a  150m
long Beverage aimed at 140 degrees.  The one exception was one time when I
heard JA1JRK and another JA (I forget the call) peaking from the NE
direction after my sunset.  However, I have not heard any LP JA on 160 in
over 10 years.

W1 to JA via LP is indeed a very difficult path on 160.  It occurs only very
rarely here and the openings are very short.  Also, as noted, we have to
compete with Europe, which has an opening to JA at the same time.

73, John W1FV