Topband: Changing to Synthetic Lube in Tower Gearbox

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Changing to Synthetic Lube in Tower Gearbox
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:38:19 -0700

Rick,

I finished one more flush in my reduction gear. As I mentioned, my lube was still pretty dark colored to my satisfaction after the first flush operation. This time I used the turkey baster to take out as much of the remaining lube in the bottom of the gear box. Refilled with Mobil Glycol and after running for about 10 minutes the lube is a light amber color. (it was dark brown before because I didnt do a suction from the bottom of the gearbox to extract as much of the old lube as possible) Anyway, I am satisfied now with the conversion to synthetic lube. I called Hub City and explained what i was doing. They said I should suck out as much of the old lube as possible (which I did) They provide reduction gear boxes to US Tower and are familiar with our application. Said with the Synthetic lube the gearbox should last a long time. These worm gear units get a lot more severe work load than our usage and are often run continuously. As far as running the reduction gear under load before draining the lube, definitely. The gearbox should be warm to the touch and we need to run under load until the gearbox feels warm. This also is true when running the flushing lube. Run the gearbox under load until warm. They said the flushing lube is a lower viscosity oil so it still lubricates. It is formulated with detergent additives for cleaning. We will notice the gearbox warms up quicker with the flushing lube and will not need to run under load as long as with the regular lube. (I noticed this) The key is to run it long enough to get it good and warm. I wasted money by not sucking out the residual lube out the first time. But it is good now, I am satisfied. Here is an article on flushing and adding Mobil Glycol. (I hope this will make the gearbox last a long time, I don't plan on doing this very often, hih

http://www.winsmith.com/documents/Mobil_Glygoyle_General_Flushing_Procedure.pdf

73,
Bob
K6UJ