Re: Topband: Waller Flag Question

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Waller Flag Question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 08:27:28 -0400
I would just like to understand what Tom is saying. I almost think he had
noise figure confused with noise temperature at one point.

Correction to my previous e-mail, first sentence in second paragraph.
should have said "When I studied preamps and NF ~30 years ago, I thought
the NF of the first active device (preamp) was the all-important thing".

With proper conversion, noise figure, MDS, and noise temperature are interchangeable in overall use or meaning.

People in this thread are working in noise figure and gain when considering preamplifiers, so I stayed there.

40 dB is a whole lot of gain in front of a normal receiver. To me, it looks like the 40 dB is unrealistic unless the receiver is lacking normal gain. In a common receiver, if 40dB gain is required, the antenna system is going to be more difficult to deal with than almost all can handle.

I'm only specifically speaking about the amount of gain. Don't read more into this than specifically what I am saying. (Which people have a tendency to do.)

73, Tom