Re: Topband: [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]RE: Waller Flag Question

To: topband@contesting.com, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]RE: Waller Flag Question
From: "K1FZ-Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 16:05:35 -0400
Thanks Jim,  There are new hams that do not know how horizontal antennas patterns change over ground. On 160 meters, Usually, but nor always, higher is better up to 1/2 wavelength for low angle DX..   Lousy soil, like low conductivity sand, dry desert soil, can put the effective conducting ground much lower than the surface soil

DX does not always come in at low angles. Antenna handbooks ARRL, and Low Band DXing books are worth reading.
73
Bruce-K1FZ

www.qsl.net/k1fz/beverage_antenna.html

      I saw that statement as well, which noted a gain of -53 dBi. My NEC
model, using Carlos's dimensions over lousy soil, computes -44 dBi with
a peak at 24 degrees.
73, Jim K9YC