Re: Topband: FRONT END SAVER

To: "Bill & Liz" <magoo@isp.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FRONT END SAVER
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 09:06:05 -0400
There is nothing magical about a front end saver, IMHO. Several years ago I built my first, a simple unit employing a pair of Panasonic PCB-type relays which grounded both the RX antenna port on my transceiver and the beverage antenna input to the preamp/switching system on transmit. As long as you do not intend to use full break-in this system works very well and costs peanuts to build; after some 15 years running a KW or better no problems have ever occurred, and I have duplicated this simple design at other stations.

Hi Bill,

It is easy to assume there is nothing critical about a front end saver (a poor name in many applications) when we think we have one that works, but it does a lot more than saving the front end.

Besides preventing damage, it also keeps radios from generating clicks and spurious signals.

Some radios and installations do not need these systems, some do. Some systems not needing them (or being critical) doesn't mean they are all not critical.

They are system dependent for antenna types, antenna physical layout, radio type, and power level.

73 Tom