Re: Topband: RX antenna ???

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antenna ???
From: wb6rse1@mac.com
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:03:19 -0700
Getting back to CO8DM's original question about a preamp to use with a flag. If
the receiver noise level pops up and then drops when a receive antenna is
connected and then disconnected, then it’s likely that a preamp may not be
needed at all.

When I first played with a coaxial loop, a preamp was necessary. Since going to
a full size flag, I find that I seldom even bother turning on a external
preamp. I do have a relatively short coax run of about 75 ft from the flag to
the receiver.

I’d try the flag first without building/buying a preamp and see how it plays.

Steve WB6RSE