Topband: WD-1A wire

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: WD-1A wire
From: Roger Parsons via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 15:55:59 +0000 (UTC)
I know that WD-1 and WD-1A wires are not very good for two wire transmission
lines due to their high attenuation. I wonder however whether they are OK with
the conductors strapped as Beverage wires? WD-1A has quite a few advantages for
the bush where I run my antennas - it is strong, it is quite light, it is very
nice and easy to run out, and it fits through electric fence insulators.

I presume that its poor performance as a balanced line is related to the copper
wires twisting with the steel ones meaning that for some of the time current is
passing through the steel wires due to skin effect. On the other hand I can't
see how it can be worse than galvanised steel wire or electric fence wire.

73 Roger
VE3ZI