Re: Topband: Antenna relays

Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna relays
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 09:24:29 -0400
With silver-cadmium relay contacts I use on my ladder line switching, I
find I have to occasionally transmit a dit to get receive to work again,
especially if I haven't been on the radio in hours or days. My mental model
is that I have to "blow through" the surface contamination. Would
definitely never use the silver-cadmium contacts in a receive-only path.
(Even though I have been known to make some Q's while transmitting on my
receive antennas, it was purely by accident!)

I picked up a tray of some dinky 24V-coil microwave relays that KM1H and
W3LPL recommended from Electronics Goldmine and they work great for
receive-only applications. (And have survived the occasional accidental
transmit!).

Tim N3QE