Re: Topband: verticals by the sea

To: Top Band Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: verticals by the sea
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 12:06:55 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Mike,

There's some vertical polarization off the ends of an inverted-V,
but is significantly down from the horizontally polarized radiation
broadside to the antenna. The advantages of a seaside location
for horizontal polarization are an unobstructed horizon and very
efficient ground gain from an extremely flat Fresnel zone. Many
carefully selected land locations can provide the same benefits.

Unless you can install your inverted-V sufficiently high to produce
significant low angle radiation, you would would do much better with
a vertical very close to the sea shore or a salt marsh.

Installing your inverted-V near the edge of a bluff overlooking the sea
would also be excellent if its sufficiently close to the edge so that the
inverted-V illuminates most of the near edge of the Fresnel zone.
Of course, many land locations can provide the same benefits.

The benefits of a flat Fresnel zone are discussed in detail in:

https://archive.org/download/sitingcriteriafo139utla/sitingcriteriafo139utla.pdf

73
Frank
W3LPL