Topband: Salt Water QTH In Maine

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Salt Water QTH In Maine
From: Charles Yahrling <cfytech24x7@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 20:37:21 +0100
My QTH is about 6 miles inland and 500 MSL from the head of the Penobscot
Bay. I get great propagation to the East and South. IMHO unless you need to
get radials within a critical distance of Salt Water I would opt for
something a few miles inland and on a ridge.

More importantly, have you done any research on what your tax situation
would be?   There's a movement afoot in the state capital to abolish the
state income tax at the expense of higher property taxes, with a view to
tap vacation home owners, much as New Hampshire has done. Worse, buying a
waterfront property will pit you against nimbies and greenies who suffocate
any attempt to encourage businesses (e.g ratables) to help with soaring
school budgets.  Anything shore front will be along RT 1, which is where
all the cell towers are and accordingly where all the restrictive tower
legislation is. I deliberately bought my QTH in 2006 because it was close
to, but not on, the highly assessed shore front areas, long before I became
a ham.  So glad I made that decision.

Those same nimbies are determined to turn the entire state into a national
park, thus putting the final nail into the traditional wood mill industry
coffin and making the state next to last choice for economic development in
Forbes polls. The governor has done a lot to reverse profligate state
spending and senseless regulation, but in a few years that could all go
backwards, depending on who is in power after the elections.

Maine is a great state to be poor in but if you are well-heeled enough to
contemplate shore front property, you should ask a lot of questions before
you decide on a property. I would tend to favor any small town that has no
comprehensive development plan or ordinances to trip you up; there are
plenty around if you don't need to rub elbows with the beautiful people.

$0.02

--
de AB1VL
NAQCC #6799