Re: Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests
From: "Mark van Wijk, PA5MW" <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:48:17 +0100

Hi Tree, all,

I believe there 's a third basic issue here:

3. The change of the leveling playing field

Adaptions of shortcuts introduces new opportunities within the rules.

***VERY TRUE

With the new Remote RX possibility, to be competitive I am forced to do
the allowed upgrade and add two RX sites:

***Some will challenge you on the "forced to", but you are very right here. Just wait and see it happening.

- One to the max west border right near the sea. This allows for easier
working of more QRP stations from the British Islands and secondly it
delivers a propagation advantage towards W/VE.
- The second one will be at the south border, up in the hills at a top
location which is even more quiet than my current QTH and offers the
right downslope to create superb take-off from an 8-circle or so.

***Clear
- Remote RX sites can be a strategic advantage
- One will need to add one or more remote RX sites after this to keep up
- Both the geographical and 'nearby sea' advantages apply more to European countries than USA
- Boundary limitations can and probably will be stretched

snip........... Other countries might have less available strategic geographical opportunities.

*** We call that an 'unbalance in the leveled playing field'

Now let's see how many  stations will (have to) upgrade in the next two
years...

*** I think this has happened often in the past after adoption of new techniques.

I do recognize the standpoints on "cheaters will always cheat no matter what" And it is difficult here to avoid the tendency to suspect the devil after every corner or talk conspiracy etc.

But the implications allowing Remote RX during 160m Contesting is more than the somehow mutual agreed +3dB effect we see at other disciplines...

Please recognize the challenge of contesting on Topband.
It is difficult in noisy areas; you will have to find a way to work around it and still enjoy the contest from home (MY situation).
Going for gold involves you have to walk that extra mile...

73 Mark, PA5MW