Re: Topband: Preamplifiers

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Preamplifiers
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 19:10:00 -0500 (EST)
Hi Andy ,

I use preamps from three different manufacturers in my station :

- DX Engineering RPA-1 $143.95
- Clifton Labs Z10043 (or Z10042) Norton Preamp $100.00 (with enclosure)
- Advanced Receiver Research P1-30/20VD $69.95

I use W3LPL bandpass filters in front of every preamp because
of the extreme out-of-band signal levels in my multi-multi station.

All three types of preamps perform very well, I've detected no
practical difference in performance among the three types of preamps
used on my Beverages and 8-circle receiving arrays.

The Clifton Labs Norton preamp is clearly superior on 15 and 10
meters because it appears to be unconditionally stable. The same is
not true of the ARR preamps which self-oscillate on 15 and 10 meters
when fed through a band pass filter. I've never observed the self-
oscillation problem with ARR preamps on 160 through 20 meters.

73
Frank
W3LPL