Re: Topband: Tensioning of RG58 coax for 2-way Beverage

To: Tracey Gardner <tracey.gardner@talktalk.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tensioning of RG58 coax for 2-way Beverage
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:40:17 +0000
You could use a small Kellums grip (Chinese finger handcuffs) to grab the
cable. I know those can be found small enough.

The other thing you could try would be to run the RG58 around a thimble
(usually used with wire rope), then lace it together with fine twine. The
thimble will give you a sturdy place to attach to to tension the cable. In
place of the lacing, you could probably use adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing
to accomplish the same thing. Imagine one of the factory-made wire rope
assemblies with a thimble on each end and a compression fitting to clamp the
cable together instead of a U-bolt, then think of using the adhesive-lined heat
shrink instead of the normal compression fitting. Since you're probably not
going to have incredibly high amounts of tension the thimble/heatshrink would
probably be strong enough.

You could also try running some 24/22 awg solid wire around some exposed braid
past the thimble and soldering it but I think that would be more work and also
would present a risk of water intrusion into the cable.

Personally, I've been successful in the past making an "L"-shaped piece of
heavy steel wire, then lacing the tensioned cable to the L-wire by running
small twine or wire around both with maybe 20-30 passes. It makes a surprising
strong assembly. The "L" part keeps the tensioned wire with the lacing from
sliding off of the end of the supporting L wire, the other end of the L wire
can be attached to whatever support you're using. Hopefully that makes sense --
it really needs a picture :-)

  -Bill