Topband: EP6T from western Europe EI (on 160 and 80)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EP6T from western Europe EI (on 160 and 80)
From: "Neil Carr" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:00:39 -0000
Hi Doug,

It has been rather tough from this side of "Western Europe"  on LF hasn't
it? Having worked previous EPs over the years on HF I was only looking
160/80.

Here is my perspective on snagging a 80 (and 160 QSO), you will know this
already of course but some of the timing may help.

Early evening is a waste of time this far west (I'm just across the bay form
you near Liverpool, 147 miles to be exact).  Even with a nice sunset peak on
80 for 15 mins you won't compete with East EU.  Forget this slot.

19-2230z comes the inevitable focus on JA, signals have been good then but
again forget it, its JA time you can't compete or you can't call.

Signals have generally taken a step back here after the JA window and
hovered around NIL to S2-3. Not worth calling with their noise level and
pile up from SE Europe still in full swing (still just about a sociable time
in SE Europe but 1am).

Once 01z passes the SE and East EUs do  step down for a few hrs sleep and if
you can stay up its the time to start looking. I note you said last night
you QRT'd at 2.30am. AT that time the 160m signal was still just above the
noise here.

GM0GAV worked them around 0250z when they were up to 559 with me. Come 0310z
they were 599 and had a very small pile for some reason. K1ZM was calling
from NA and a few western EUs. It was pretty easy then for me. By 0320z
their signal had gone. So after monitoring from 17z, 5pm local,  I made my
1st call of the night just after 3am.

A few nights earlier I got them on 80 at 02.21am. But thats another story,
that was after 5 hrs calling.

My suggestion for the far west in Europe, is get to bed for 9pm, set your
alarm for 2am, and hover around that SR hour. I was tempted to go to bed at
2.30am myself last night (especially with being out of the house for work at
6am), but they just started to build real fast just after. Its sods law of
course. It easy to be "cocky" after the event, but this does seem to have
been the pattern at least 3 nights here so far. The 1st few nights I stayed
up to 1am, but after G4PWA made it 3am, I swapped "shifts". THose club log
propagation charts are a life saver and great help once a few in the log.

Looking forward to you reporting a QSO on 160 or 80 somewhere between 2-3am
coming days.  I'd be getting up then, rather than going to bed the next two
nights at 2.30 etc

Oh and yes, forget fri/sat with the QRM Contest on.

GL  Neil G0JHC

Message: 8