Re: Topband: 78th Anniversary of First Ham License

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 78th Anniversary of First Ham License
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 07:55:08 -0500
When Paul was licensed in January, 1937, the 6L6 was just being mass produced. The National NC-101X had not yet been designed and the regenerative SW-3 was still being sold along with the new HRO. Crystal control had just replaced Hartley, TNT, and TPTG transmitters. Television was in the early stages of testing and is described by David Sarnoff in the publication described below. The public would have to wait another two years before the screen release of "The Wizard of Oz," and "Gone with the Wind." Topband activity included nightly code practice from W9BSP - who was responsible for training more than 10,000 operators, many of whom helped us win WWII.

To help me get a better understanding of what life was like for the average ham in early 1937, I pulled the January issue of "Radio." This was a monthly publication from the same folks who brought us the Frank Jones series of the Radio Amateur Handbook. Here's a link to that issue:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio/30s/Radio-1937-01.pdf

Paul, looking forward to your upcoming 80th year in radio!

Paul, W9AC

I regret that my slow typing speed prevents my answering individually all
the kind responses I received to my post. I deeply appreciate your comments
and thank you for them.

73 Paul W5DM

---