Re: Topband: Compact magnetic loop

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Compact magnetic loop
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:27:03 -0500
Hi,

That small mag-loop has a small aperture and so all of the signals delivered to your radio will be lower levels than from a bigger antenna (in terms of wavelength. A preamp should improve the signal strength but not improve the SNR over what you get with the loop and no preamp. The mag-loop reduces the noise with it's high Q and decreased bandwidth and those nulls contribute to reduced noise, too. I have excellent luck with mine but there just isn't any silver bullet. The mag loop I use on 160 meters is four and a half feet in diameter. The receiver I use on 160 is easily overloaded without some attenuation so the reduced signal levels from the mag-loop are *ideal*.

73,

Bill  KU8H