Topband: Antenna patterns (in close)

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antenna patterns (in close)
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 12:16:30 -0500
Is there a cheap program that calculates and *displays* antenna patterns in close to the antenna?

I'm working on a better way to explain the limits of using receiving directivity, and explain why what might be phenomenal "this is the best thing ever" to one person might be "don't work for crap" to someone else.

I can do it in an excel sheet, but that it tedious and it doesn't paint a good visual picture.

I'm looking for a way to visually show why sometimes a certain thing works great, and other times the very same thing just stinks in very similar situations, and why things like noise cancellers might or might not work with multiple sources when the cases on the surface appear similar or to be easy solutions.

Thanks,
Tom