Re: Topband: Silver solder

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Silver solder
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 17:37:17 -0500
> “If you had trouble with an oxyacetylene torch, then I'll bet you used
> "silver-bearing" (tin-copper-silver) solder, which melts at well under 700
> degrees.
These are mid-level silver sticks with 15% silver + copper/phosphor and have a
working temperature of 1200-1400 degs. F – but not the 2-5% silver bearing
variety with a lower melting point.  You are probably using a much higher
silver content if working with OxyAcet.
Using OxyAcet on the 15% bars can quickly result in boiling and vaporizing of
the solder with damage done to the copper, especially to a copper strap.  With
15% bars, Acetylene/air works fine even with a high amount of heat-sinking.  I
have not yet tried MAPP gas.
Paul, W9AC