Re: Topband: SP test - Awful condx

To: topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: SP test - Awful condx
From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse <pearse@gci.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:45:21 -0900
Poor also from Fairbanks, Ak. Listened both nights off and on. But in the end
it was the burning end of my Inv-L that called timeout.

Apparently my coated stranded wire had a covering defect at the far end where
it was suspended in a tree…the voltage node melted the pull-up rope and down it
came/SWR shot up/amp went into safe mode (Alpha 8410).

And this was at -12F with everything covered with hoar frost. I’ve never had
this happen before (I thought ice was a good insulator) but now I know what to
look for at rebuild.

73, Gary NL7Y