Re: Topband: 160m RX antenna testing surrogates?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m RX antenna testing surrogates?
From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:32:27 +0000
The fact that the world outside the Americas has 9kHz rather than 10 kHz separation between broadcasters could help you here Jim. Not as much help for South America, though there is an Argentinian on 1710kHz, but there are US pirates there also.

I believe Mark Connelly WA1ION is on this list, and has suggested medium wave broadcast beacons in the past?

In Maryland, Asia on 160m would be a longer shot, but you could see if you can hear at least a carrier on 1566kHz from HLAZ South Korea, 1575kHz VoA Thailand, maybe 1593 CNR1 China, 1557 Taiwan. (listening when you have a darkness path of course). These are all high power stations, and tend to dominate their frequencies. North Korea still broadcasts on 2350 and 2850kHz, though they may be more relevant for 80m DX.

If you are searching for Australia, 1548 4QD.

best wishes,

Nick
VE7DXR

(if you have access to QEX July/August 2001, I did an article on the possibilities of using such stations as beacons for 160m propagation studies, but not as much for your regions of interest unfortunately)