Re: Topband: Non-resonant receive antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Non-resonant receive antennas
From: "Paul Elliott" <paab@valornet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 22:19:30 -0000
On a 120' x 120' electrically noisy city lot in SE NM I am considering, for
receiving, attempting to maximize S/N ratio on DX signals by a method I have
not seen discussed.

As far as I can tell, the noise, while quite strong, is not coming from any
discrete source/sources.  My ear, which certainly can be fooled, tells me a
signal from an antenna on the ground (if it is strong enough to be heard
without a preamp) has a higher S/N ratio than on any of my present antennas
(2 short 10' x 20' Ewes, a 12' diameter untuned loop, and a 100' foot endfed
wire about 2' off the ground next to a fence).

Would putting two antennas on the ground, using a preamp on each, fed to a
phasing unit, offer any possibility of an improvement over what I now have?

My transmitting antenna, a semi-inverted L, is detuned by a relay opening
the connection between the antenna and the coax.

Paul W5DM