Re: Topband: Unknown Pulse Signal Wiping out 1900-1925 kHz

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Unknown Pulse Signal Wiping out 1900-1925 kHz
From: Doug Grant <dougk1dg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 02:13:56 +0000
> From: k1fz@myfairpoint.net

> Monday? 9;45 AM
> Unable to hear the 1900-1925 Khz. interfering signal this morning.
> Propagation change, or is the signal gone ?
> Anyone still hear it?

I checked a few times during the day on Monday and did not hear it.

At 0200z I checked again and it was there and very loud...40dB over
s9. Definitely louder on my NE antenna, but only by 10 dB or so. Maybe
it is close enough that it is arriving at a high angle. But 30 seconds
after I tuned in, it stopped!

The signal characteristics are almost identical to CODAR sea-surface
radar. There are three of those installations in Maine and VE1 that
are easy to hear on 4.8 MHz. Maybe they are trying smoethign new
there. Or maybe is it in TF or even shipboard somewhere  off
Newfoundland...the CODAR system uses fairly small antennas and low
power, so it is possible.

I placed a phone call over the weekend to the Operations Manager for
one of the projects using those sites and left a message asking if
they had something running at 1.9 MHz, but no answer yet.

73,

Doug K1DG
Long Island, ME  FN43