Re: Topband: Unknown Pulse Signal Wiping out 1900-1925 kHz

To: "'Donald Chester'" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Unknown Pulse Signal Wiping out 1900-1925 kHz
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 14:14:46 -0700
Intruders are becoming endemic on all the hf bands, not just top band. Every
morning I hear SSB stations on the low end of 80m and 40m, and the worst of
all are 10m-12m, which have become a nightmare of swishing signals,
carriers, buzzing sounds and illegal CBers. I hadn't realized how bad the
situation had become till I could see the spectrum on my Flex transceiver.
Most ot the problem seems to be coming from the North in the afternoon, when
those bands are open into Asia. I can't imagine how bad all this crap must
sound to our JA friends.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Chester
> Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2014 1:55 PM
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Topband: Unknown Pulse Signal Wiping out 1900-1925 kHz
>

>  Kind of a pulsating buzzing sound, centred around 1915, but audible down
>  slightly below 1900 and up to approximately 1925. At its centre
frequency last night
> (Saturday), it was just as strong as any CW contest signal.
>
> It was particularly loud (S9 + 30) in the Northeast and ops with
> beverage antennas are reporting that it appears to be coming over the
horizon
>  in a south easterly direction, while others say it is possibly coming
from Europe or
> Polar Russia. Whether this is a harmonic, a spur or something coming from
an intentional
> radiator, it has made regular QSO operation between 1900 and 1930 almost
unbearable for
> the past three nights now.
>
> All the more reason to hope that the FCC goes ahead and adopts their
> proposed reallocation of 1900-2000 to delete sharing  with radiolocation
and to restore
> amateurs to primary status. Although many 160m
> ops seemed to blow off this NPRM while the comment period was still open
as if it were
> much ado about nothing, a  few of us maintained that it was of utmost
> importance for the amateur community to flood the Commission with comments
supporting
> their
> proposal.
>
> Although GPS has pretty much killed 160m radiolocation for the
>  moment, we never know when some new service might attempt to start up in
this part of
> the spectrum under the guise of Radiolocation.  That could be what's
happening right now.
> For those only interested in DX and contesting in the bottom end of the
band and who
> sometimes appear not to even consider 1900-2000 as part of the band, still
must remember
> that if some new service were to displace amateurs
> from the top half, congestion in the 1800-1900 kHz segment (including the
DX window)