Re: Topband: ARRL160 Test conditions

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL160 Test conditions
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 11:56:21 -0800
On 12/6/2014 11:36 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
I rolled out at 3 am hoping to pick up the six eastern states I need for
QRP WAS, and found conditions quite poor. Could get as far east only as
WD5R and N0NI. Couldn't even make it with NO3M, who has great ears.

73, Jim K9YC

N03M and WD5R were among the handful of eastern stations I was able
to work early in the night.  I don't know what magic they had.
N0NI (normally a beacon station) was missing in action until the band got back in shape. The early conditions were so bad I actually was
afraid I would miss Iowa.  I filled out my multiplier list mainly from
10 PM until midnight local.  There were still a fair number of eastern
stations on at 3AM local, although I had already worked nearly all
of them.  Thank you night owls.

Rick N6RK