Re: Topband: RTTY on 160-Meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RTTY on 160-Meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:48:49 -0800
On Thu,12/4/2014 10:29 AM, Dick Bingham wrote:
WSPR activity is centered at 1838.100 ± 100Hz so those folks would
appreciate not getting hammered by BIG sigs. Most are running less than
10-watts.

More completely, JT65 uses USB with a dial frequency of 1838 kHz to TX between about 1838.35 and 1840.5 kHz, occupied bandwidth about 200 Hz. JT9 uses a dial frequency of 1840, occupied bandwidth about 20 Hz.

JT65 and JT9 are small signal modes, but not always low power modes. On the HF bands, TX powers in the range of 5-20W, often with antennas equivalent to a wet string, are pretty much the norm, and many operate at these levels on 160M. Most of us will use as much power as we have available on 6M, 2M, and for really difficult paths on 160M. I had the amp on when I answered a CQ from a ZS on 160M (without success).

73, Jim K9YC