Re: Topband: Bird 43

To: "Clive GM3POI" <gm3poi2@btinternet.com>, "'TopBand List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bird 43
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 09:11:37 -0500
Hi All, With the wealth of knowledge on here I thought I would ask this one.
Can anyone put a figure on the displayed power using typical Bird 43
elements for 2-30mhz when used at 1.83.

My logical guess would be about -5% but have no idea really. 73 Clive GM3POI

Bird meters are all over the place, especially with slugs in a humid environment or with dirty air. The common problem with the slug type meters is the calibration pot inside the slug going up in resistance.

As Terry said, the rating INSIDE the published frequency range is + or - 5% of full scale anywhere on the scale when properly calibrated. They do not roll off very fast outside the range, so the real issue on 160 with a 2-30 MHz slug is how the slug is calibrated inside the published range.