Topband: Fw: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fw: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: "k1fz" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:31:25 -0400

I think that  what is being suggested is, that if you have two signals, one
S9 and the other right at noise level. The salt water advantage shows up
more on the weak signal. Let us say both increase by 6db the S9 signal won't
be noticed as louder, but the weak signal will now show clearly above the
noise, just like turning on a light. Even though BOTH have improved by 6db.
73 Clive GM3POI ( by The Sea)

From my experiences, Jeff, and Clive have come very close to similar

Years ago after working VK6LK long path on 75 meters from the home station, and wondered if I could work him mobile. I drove toward the boat launch area in Belfast, Maine some three miles distant, he was not readable, but was "in there". Backing the old 1998 Chevy pickup down to the waters edge, there he was, coming up, up out of the noise. Was careful not to make contact with the salt water, as the truck already had enough rust. Made the QSO with 100 watts as witnessed by Norm K8TVD who was on frequency. The automatic antenna tuner was making corrections, but going a very short distance from the waters edge made a read/no read difference. Belfast bay does extend East from the boat launch location.

73
Bruce-K1FZ