Re: Topband: Ferrite Cores

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ferrite Cores
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 00:24:34 +0000
My cores arrived yesterday. I haven't done any electrical testing on them yet,
but mechanically they appear to be fine. They were not "crumbly" as some were
concerned about. I don't think they are as high quality as the fair rite cores
I've used in the past, but this is based only on aesthetics (the amidon cores I
received have some striations in the faces, and will mar fingers if you rub
them). I don't think they will be a problem in service.

My known-to-be fair rite cores from a previous mouser order did not show any
striations in the faces of the cores, nor did anything come off on fingers when
they were rubbed. They were also #31 mix though, so that might be part of it. I
don't have any other #61 cores laying around to try with a "rub test".

It looks to me that amidon has either switched suppliers or their supplier has
corrected the problem that was reported earlier.

-Bill

Sent from my iPad