Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M

To: rich kennedy <astro_maryland@yahoo.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 04:03:29 -0400
The wire size is not critical. In laying down four x 120 radials (each about 130 ft long) for a new BS/EF array here three years ago, I used whatever I could scrounge from local salvage yards, flea markets, yard sales, Habitat for Humanity Re-Stores and other thrift stores.

Old telephone cable that was laid straight (not twisted like Cat 5) was the easiest to separate. I'd start stripping the wires out at one end, then tie it on to something solid and continue pulling the wires back through the insulation. I'd end up with two or four separate wires, typically no. 22, 24 or 26.

Twisted cables took more work to separate, or I'd just use the whole cable as one radial, splicing the conductors together at the vertical end.

In other systems I've used old RG6 pulled from the dumpster at a cable company. They often have to replace a lot after storms.

I never buy new wire for radials. Scrounged cost typically works out to a couple of cents a foot or less.

For rolling up your radials, try an old garden hose reel with wheels. The hand crank makes the winding real easy.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware
www.aa1k.us